Grover Beach is a city in San Luis Obispo County, California with a population of 13,156 as of the 2010 census. It is located on the Pacific Coast Highway, about 7 miles south of Pismo Beach, and 8 miles northwest of Oceano. The city has a total area of 1.9 square miles and is situated along the Pacific Ocean between Arroyo Grande to the south and Pismo Beach to the north.
The climate in Grover Beach is Mediterranean with cool, wet winters and hot dry summers. Average temperatures range from 45 degrees Fahrenheit in winter to 67 degrees Fahrenheit in summer. The area receives an average annual rainfall of 15 inches per year with most precipitation occurring during winter months.
Grover Beach was originally part of the Rancho Guadalupe Mexican land grant given to José Ortega in 1837. In 1874, John H. Grover purchased land from Ortega’s heirs and established a ranch at what would later become Grover Beach. In 1923, Grover incorporated his property as Grover City and eventually changed its name to Grover Beach in 1993 after merging with nearby Oceano community to form one unified city government.
Grover Beach is governed by a five-member City Council who are elected at large by local voters for four-year terms on a nonpartisan basis. The current mayor is Mariam Shah who was first elected in 2018.
The economy of Grover beach relies heavily on tourism as well as agriculture and fishing industries which have been important since the late 19th century when canneries were established along local beaches including Shell Beach and Pismo Beach.
The Lucia Mar Unified School District serves students who reside within the boundaries of Grover beach with two elementary schools, three middle schools and two high schools within its jurisdiction including Dana Elementary School (K-5), Lucia Mar High School (9-12) and Arroyo Grande High School (9-12).
Grover beach is home to many popular landmarks such as Grand Avenue Park which features picnic areas, playgrounds, sports fields, bike paths and walking trails; Ramona Garden Park which includes two acres for picnicking; Monarch Butterfly Grove where thousands of Monarchs migrate each fall; Pismo Preserve which provides mountain bike trails; Monarch Dunes Golf Course located along Price Canyon Road; Santa Rosa Park located along Pier Avenue; Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area where visitors can enjoy off-roading activities such as dune buggies; Price Historical Park which features Native American artifacts from Chumash cultures dating back over 10,000 years; Pismo State Beach where visitors can enjoy swimming camping surfing boating whale watching fishing picnicking kite flying horseback riding hiking biking bird watching wildlife viewing nature walks photography kayaking scuba diving snorkeling shell collecting tide pooling sunbathing etc..
Population: 13,067. Estimated population in July 2020: 12,887 (-1.4% change)
Males: 6,334 (48.5%), Females: 6,733 (51.5%)
San Luis Obispo County
Zip codes: 93433.
Median resident age: 35.2 years
Median household income: $38,087
Median house value: $184,800
Races in Grover Beach:
- White Non-Hispanic (69.1%)
- Hispanic (22.5%)
- Other race (9.2%)
- Two or more races (4.2%)
- American Indian (2.9%)
- Filipino (2.1%)
- Black (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (17.0%), Irish (13.3%), English (12.7%), Italian (5.3%), French (3.8%), United States (3.6%).
Elevation: 60 feet
Land area: 2.3 square miles
Grover Beach is located in San Luis Obispo County, California, and as of the 2010 census, the population was 13,156. Grover Beach is a young city with a median age of 36.4 years old. The racial makeup of the city is predominantly white at 74.3%, followed by Hispanic or Latino at 18.3%. Other races make up the remaining 7.4% of the population. In terms of education, Grover Beach has a high rate of college graduates with nearly 43% having obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher. The median household income in Grover Beach is $62,588 and the median home value is $524,900 which is much higher than the state average due to its close proximity to San Luis Obispo County and its desirable beaches. The majority of residents are homeowners at just over 61%, while renters make up 38%. Grover Beach has an unemployment rate below 3% which is much lower than both the state and national averages.
For population 25 years and over in Grover Beach
- High school or higher: 82.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.5%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Grover Beach city
- Never married: 26.2%
- Now married: 47.4%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 17.4%
11.6% Foreign born (7.1% Latin America, 2.9% Asia, 1.2% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,415 (+12.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Grover Beach:
- ARROYO GRANDE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; ARROYO GRANDE, CA)
- FRENCH HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 10 miles; SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA)
- SAN LUIS OBISPO GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Grover Beach:
- SAN LUIS COUNTY REGIONAL (about 8 miles; SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA; Abbreviation: SBP)
- SANTA MARIA PUB/CAPT G ALLAN HANCOCK FLD (about 21 miles; SANTA MARIA, CA; Abbreviation: SMX)
- PASO ROBLES MUNI (about 38 miles; PASO ROBLES, CA; Abbreviation: PRB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Grover Beach:
- OCEANO COUNTY (about 2 miles; OCEANO, CA; Abbreviation: L52)
- VANDENBERG AFB (about 29 miles; LOMPOC, CA; Abbreviation: VBG)
- LOMPOC (about 35 miles; LOMPOC, CA; Abbreviation: LPC)
GROVER BEACH (180 GRAND AVE.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Grover Beach:
- CALIFORNIA POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIV-SAN LUIS OBISPO (about 20 miles; SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 15,985)
- CUESTA COLLEGE (about 20 miles; SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 6,121)
- ALLAN HANCOCK COLLEGE (about 25 miles; SANTA MARIA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 6,037)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-SANTA BARBARA (about 72 miles; SANTA BARBARA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 19,420)
- WEST HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 77 miles; COALINGA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,406)
- SANTA BARBARA CITY COLLEGE (about 80 miles; SANTA BARBARA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 8,137)
- TAFT COLLEGE (about 83 miles; Taft, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,801)
Public primary/middle school in Grover Beach:
- GROVER BEACH ELEMENTARY (Students: 525; Location: 365 S. 10TH ST.; Grades: KG – 06)
Private primary/middle school in Grover Beach:
- DANDY LION MONTESSORI (Students: 60; Location: 1089 BADEN AVENUE; Grades: PK – KG)