The workout plan to develop the chest should include different types of exercises because, although all parts of the muscle are activated during training, there are specific exercises to focus more on one or two areas. Thus, it is always important to combine exercises for different parts of the chest to obtain a muscle more developed and symmetrical.
The pectoral is one muscle group that is divided into two major muscles: the pectoralis major and the pectoralis minor. Usually, the group that is worked in academia and for aesthetic purposes is the pectoralis major, which is above and that, therefore, it is more visible. However, this muscle is also divided into 3 smaller parts: upper, middle and lower, that need to be worked on.
Just as in any other strength training, the load is chosen must be adapted to the capacity of each person, as if you have an excessive weight, can lead to a poor execution of the exercises. It is important that the person knows that the development of muscle mass it takes some time, and it will not be fast if you increase the load.
5 exercises to increase the pectoral
The training plan should include at least 3 to 4 different exercises, that target both the pectoralis major as the minor. Thus, the ideal is to choose between the following exercises:
1. Bench press 45 with dumbbells
The exercise focused to work in: upper pecs.
This exercise should be carried out on a bank of the academy positioned with inclination at 45°. Then you should:
- Lie on your back on incline bench, holding the dumbbells with a weight appropriate;
- Stretch your arms perpendicular to the body, until almost touching with a halter in the other, and with the elbows slightly flexed;
- Down the arms, until you feel the chest stretch, and until the arms form an angle of 90. This moment should inspire;
- Re-raise the dumbbells up to the starting position, exhaling the air that is in the lungs while doing the movement.
You should perform 4 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions, resting about 1 minute between each series. A good tip is to start exercise with dumbbells lighter weight and gradually increase as that decreases the number of repetitions. A good example is to make 12-12-10-8, for example.
This exercise can also be done with the bank to 0º, that is, in the horizontal, however, in this case will be worked on over the pectoral medium, instead of the top.
2. Bench press straight bar
The exercise focused to work: chest in the middle.
This is one of the exercises more classics to train the chest, but also quite complex, and with greater effect to increase the region’s average and the overall volume of the breastplate. To do the exercise correctly you should:
- Put the seat in horizontal and lie down on your back;
- Hold a bar with hands shoulder-width apart;
- Lower the bar, flexing the arms until the bar touch the chest and inspire during the movement;
- Re-stretch the arms, pushing the bar up stretch completely the arms. In this movement, you should exhale the air from the lungs.
You must perform 4 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions, resting about 1 minute between each series.
This exercise can be done with the help of another person, especially when if you try to increase the weight of the bar to prevent it from falling on the chest. Alternatively, you can also do the exercise by using dumbbells instead of the bar.
3. Lunges on the parallel bars
The exercise focused to work: chest bottom.
Lunges are very used to train the triceps, however, a small variation on this exercise can help you quickly develop the lower part of the breastplate. To do this:
- Hold with both hands on the parallel bars, keeping your arms straight;
- Bend your arms slowly until you reach a 90-degree angle, and tilt slightly from the trunk to the front;
- Go back up and stretch your arms back until you reach the starting position.
The ideal is to do 4 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions, resting about 1 minute between each series.
In this exercise it is very important to try to keep the trunk tilted to the front as you move down, to ensure that the force is made mostly on the lower part of the breastplate that if you want to work.
The exercise focused to work: chest in the middle.
An exercise easy and accessible to anyone is the bending that, in addition to working the pectoral medium, also helps to strengthen the arms and can be done at home. To perform the exercise you should:
- Stay in the position of the surfboard, with your arms apart to the distance of the shoulders;
- Come down and flex the arms up to touch your chest on the floor, keeping the elbows out and the abdomen contracted;
- Rise again, returning to the starting position.
This exercise should be conducted in 4 series of 15 to 30 repetitions.
5. Crossover with handle high
The exercise focused to work in: upper pecs and the middle.
This is a good option to finish the training of the pectoral, that in addition to working the upper and middle of the chest, also helps to define the region between the two pectoral muscles, creating greater definition. To do this you must use a cable machine and follow the following steps:
- Hold both the handles of the instrument cables;
- Pull the handles down until your hands touch in front of the waist, keeping your elbows slightly bent;
- Return to the starting position with hands at the level of the shoulders.
You can do 4 sets of about 12 to 15 repetitions and rest about 1 minute between each series.